Saturday, February 17, 2007

The faulty stars fell...

...and my outstretched arms were 'fortunate' to have caught them all.

Looks like the trail is neverending. My deepest, darkest secrets are starting to surface.
Another revelation in the life of Eileen. Well, who would be interested anyway. ;p

I got the biggest shock of my life yesterday when I learned that I was a carrier. Nope! not HIV or any STD. =) ...but the alpha thalassemia trait. Had I not conceived, I/we wouldn't know.

I had my routine blood test and hemoglobin electrophoresis done more than a month ago & I was diagnosed to be iron deficient so my doctor prescribed an iron supplement to be taken for one month then have the test repeated to rule out thalassemia, if present. I did as I was told. Then, last Tuesday, I went to have the test done again. After 2 days, the nurse called me and said that the results were exactly the same as my previous result. Therefore, the tablets didn't have effect on me at all. It's been confirmed even before that I am anemic, but being thalassemic is another issue. I have doubts whether the results are really conclusive.

Anyhow, there won't be any adverse effect on my pregnancy unless Hubi is also a carrier. And definitely, he is not. So, Bunny should be alright. Definitely, he will be!!!

So, what's the next blow?

Should I start digging out the roots of my family tree now? *sigh*

No comments: