Sunday, November 19, 2006

Psycho

I was partially bedridden yesterday and there was nothing to do but slump myself on my bed & watch!watch!watch! I still am being visited by the irritating cramps and it does make me prove that being preggy is not absolutely a 100% happy journey *huhu* =) Now, I can truly grasp why mothers would kill for their babies and why they truly grieve when betrayed by their children later in life. Of course, we do know that no matter how upright you foster your kids, external factors could induce the twist and turns. The media, books, school teachings, peer pressure and tv shows all take part. Well, I am not in authority to say all these things 'coz I haven't passed stage 1 yet. We'll find out soon.

Staying in bed isn't that bad 'though. Later at night, I was able to finish one movie that has long been sitting in my Drive D. 16 Blocks starring Bruce Willis & Mos Def. Such a deviating role for Bruce. I find it a very good movie, goofy yet touching. When bad turns good. As Mos reiterates it : "People change.." Nice! Nice! Nice! How I wish Bunny would be as talkative as Mos. Phew! Watch it and you'll know why. And if you've seen the movie, am i right? *wink*

Prior to this, I also had the chance to catch a local show called "Tab Chat". Last night they tackled on the unusual behaviour of teenagers today. As I've mentioned earlier, the peer pressure factor. It dramatized why some teenage girls (those in secondary school) go for self mutilation; that is, slashing. The habit occurs often even if the previous wounds haven't healed yet. They try to mask the slashes from their families by wearing wrist bands.

The reasons: self satisfaction, to be "IN"/cool, diversion of emotional pain, adrenaline rush synonymous to riding a rollercoaster. There was one scene when the 3 girls dared each other to cut their wrist deeply. Girl 3 who wanted to be in inflicted the deepest much to the amazement of the other girls. Blood was oozing out heavily so they were forced to call the emergency hotline. Funny but poor thing.

We rarely had this when I was in highschool, although a few did try I know. I could remember that during our medical check-ups, the nurse would check our arms & legs for the possible occurence. We were all girls by the way. Once caught equals red mark & expulsion if repeatedly done.

That was before and it is different now. I am suprised myself. These are some issues which youngsters face today that parents couldn't handle. Their time is mostly spent outside their homes and we cannot blame anyone. The only key is conversation: to be able to follow them up after school and counsel them about their problems. But since most teenagers are hesitant to open up especially to their parents, maybe these experiences could be their teacher already.

Hopefully.. hopefully..

If you decide to mutilate yourself, you MUST have superficial veins like me inorder to succeed. *kidding*

2 comments:

Alternati said...

... and cut vertically along the largest vein, not across. you bleed faster. hehehe.. I saw it in a movie.

You should watch "Thirteen". It stars Evan Rachel Wood and Holly Hunter. Such a powerful movie about rebelling teens and touching on mutilation a bit. I have never tried it before, I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to blood. I can't even prick my own forefinger for blood tests.

Our highschool years were great. Now, they bring guns and knives to school. The whole "gangster" ideal. It's sad and stupid.

En said...

Me, i'm fed up mutilating other people, more especially blind shooting. It's my calling, however, I haven't poked anybody yet for 2 yrs now 'though I'm still licensed to do so. "Dinuguan", anyone?

Ditto on the highschool years. If only I could turn back time. Too sad, the newbies won't be able to experience the excitement of "exclusivity". We're lucky really! =)