Thursday, January 25, 2007

Delusional

I'm getting more paranoid as each day passes while my tummy’s growing. Definitely my work has a big effect on it. I guess having embraced this field for several yrs has its drawbacks especially now that I'm pregnant, emotionally and intellectually that is.

(*at 15 weeks)

A looooot of questions in mind. Is the baby inside my womb normal? Is he/she healthy? Will the baby have a risk of having Down Syndrome, aneuploidy or any of the genetic rearrangements? Would the baby hold on?

I know it's stupidity, but let's face it, these facts are not impossible. Good if you're a guy coz you won’t have to worry even if everyday you are to process tissue samples from a miscarriage or threatened abortion and exposed to cases with abnormal karyotypes.

In fact, almost all of my past and present colleagues experience this paranoia when infanticipating. Cytogenetics is all to blame and yet we looooove it.

On my 12th wk, I was scheduled to do an OSCAR test but refused on the last minute. Me and Hubi decided not to do this test or any exam for that matter w/c might be able to identify any genetic abnormality. Besides, we shall be keeping the baby whatever the result/s is/are.

More so, being poked a.k.a. amniocentesis is slightly risky. I wouldn’t dare torture myself afterwards by analyzing our own baby's chromosomes noh.

Well, I may be feeling like this, however, I definitely never regretted being fed by my superiors with "the knowledge". =)

Nonetheless, in 2 weeks time, Bunny shall undergo an extensive asessment scan. I'm excited and quite anxious at the same time.

Will update soon.... Que sera sera!


Chromosome Painting

1 comment:

The Nashman said...

don't be too worried. i'm sure it's going to be ok.