Friday, October 31, 2008

BOO!!

Filipinos are not used to celebrating Halloween. Singaporeans are not used to celebrating it either. It has not been a part of our/ their custom. It's basically Western.

I couldn't even remember a time during our primary years when we would have the opportunity to adorn ourselves with the superhero/superheroine/prince/princess/witch/animal costume we all like. No aping, no imitating. Very traditional a.k.a. barriotic. *kidding*

Why we have not imbibed it?

First, our school's founders are Belgian

Second, it is impossible to trick or treat in my hometown where stray dogs are ubiquitous

Third, you might be mistaken as a trespasser or worst magnanakaw

Fourth, kids of my generation were not obsessed with superheroes and the like. I guess we were more interested with what Lola Basyang's kwento has to offer us

Fifth, we all know as kids that pumpkins are meant to be eaten with sitaw and gata, or mixed with shrimp paste to make pinakbet, and

Lastly, children would rather stay at home, keep their selves warm under a cozy blanket, and FYI, we were required to sleep early.

Lucky for the youngsters now. This celebration has already been incorporated in their school's curriculum. They all get to wear spongebob squarepants *hehe* Anyways...

Oh! my mistake! I guess we all had one celebration when we were forced to wear a costume. It wasn't halloween 'though.

Well, that was during the first(?) streetdance ever held in Baguio. Where we had to dance along Session Road to the tune of Life Dance in our school uniform plus a Japanese parasol and hundreds of people watching and televised pa. Shameful really..

For me it was then like halloween. Ok na siguro if I was to wear a disgusting mask while dancing. At least, di kita ang mukha *wink*

Well that was before, when I was younger. Reminiscing that day, I can happily treasure it inside my biography. It was a first of its kind halloween...errr...experience.


HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

an artwork ek-ek @ The Esplanade

The History of Halloween: click!


My past chronicles: October 2005, October 2006, October 2007

No comments: