Friday, March 28, 2008

Zoology 101

My in-laws went to Candon yesterday and brought home with them bucketsss of fresh-from-the-fishpond-tilapia and bangus plus calamay, coconut and a few pieces of sea urchin given by a kababayan. Last night while preparing dinner, we were debating whether the sea urchin is a plant or an animal. I guess I was absent when they took this up in school. I wasn't that sure. Gosh! wala palang silbi yung pinag-aralan ko...o kaya naman, wala na talagang laman ang utak ko o kaya epekto ng tatlong beses na anaesthesia. Haaay...I even had to surf the net to satisfy my/our query.

Alas! hayop pala sya! may bibig, dila, lamang-loob, ngipin etcetera etcetera...kaya..oras na para hatulan.

mukha syang porcupine di ba? =)

The spines are no longer that sharp after boiling. They popped it open. Like the balut, there's broth oozing out, cough syrup like orange color. I had to collect using my spoon then straight to my mouth. Comparatively, it tastes like sea water. Super alat! and I don't know how to react, whether to pretend that it tasted great or not. NR na lang ako so as not to offend anybody seated around the table.

Next is to make kut-kut the inside. It looks like an alien to me with the teeth and all. We were told to set aside the black parts and spoon out the roe, the edible part of the animal. Dunno the rest.

"roe..roe..roe your boat, gently down the stream..."

Nothing unusual nor icky bout the taste. If the broth is verrrrry salty, the roe is moderately salty. I cannot say if it is actually tasty as I can only discern salt a.k.a. Sodium Chloride a.k.a. NaCl...period!

I am the type who experiments on food, however, if I'm offered again even just one piece of this creature, I'd definitely pass this time...

LBM after 3 hours ang katapat. Thank but NO thanks! Di kaya ng powers ko haay!

No comments: